Dairy-free milk beverages are often looked down upon for being light on substance, but homemade versions, like this maple hemp milk, pack in unparalleled freshness and a wallop of nutrition.
Admittedly, I had never been a big fan of hemp milk. Store-bought versions are a bit too grassy and somehow a little “off” for my tastes. But once I started testing different milk beverages, I became a total hemp seed convert.
I ended up creating Healthy Hemp Mylk and Happy Hemp Creamer recipes for Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook. And this homemade Maple Hemp Milk is a spin-off from those formulas.
Below are some of my personal notes for this maple hemp milk recipe in addition to bites of nutritional information about its homemade goodness.
- Hemp seeds are not marijuana, and you won’t get high from them. They are, however, rich in Omega fatty acids and other essential nutrients.
- The taste of this maple hemp milk is still a touch grassy, but the pure unprocessed flavors are more full-bodied, complimentary, and almost a little, dare I say, addictive. I also find that the vanilla really tames those overtly natural notes and maple syrup brings it all together.
- Once well-blended and strained, I estimated (based on the remaining hemp see pulp) that each cup of this maple hemp milk contains approximately one 1-ounce serving of hemp seeds. This means that it has MORE protein, magnesium, and riboflavin than dairy milk.
- Magnesium is believed by many to be an unsung hero for bone health. Some research is saying that we may be overloading on calcium while deficient in magnesium. Want to balance both? Add a serving of calcium citrate powder to this maple hemp milk recipe
- Maple syrup gives this recipe a delicious, sustainable light sweetness. Yet even with this addition, my maple hemp milk has approximately the same amount of sugars as a very un-sweet cup of cow milk.
- I also like it as a post-workout drink. Though chocolate milk has been publicized lately as a fitness beverage, this maple hemp milk is much lower in sugars and yet higher in protein and healthy fats.
Special Diet Notes: Homemade Maple Hemp Milk
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, vegetarian, paleo, raw, and top food allergy-friendly (whew!). I think that covers the bases.
- Place the hemp seeds in your blender with half of the water. Blend until relatively smooth and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes. You will still see some little bits of hemp seed, that's okay.
- Add the remaining water, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt and blend until relatively smooth and creamy.
- Strain the maple hemp milk through a nut milk bag or (my method) through a sieve lined with a few layers of cheesecloth. Squeeze to extract all of the creamy goodness.
- If chilling any leftovers, stir before serving - it will separate a bit.