These potluck-perfect Mini Frozen Key Lime Tarts were an Honorable Mention Winner in the Coconut category of our #FrozenFridays Recipe Contest. The event was sponsored by So Delicious Dairy Free and hosted by us, Go Dairy Free. But this personal dessert recipe was created and submitted by Amanda of My Gluten-Free Miami.
A former educator and administrator, Amanda now spends her time educating the public about Celiac Disease and Gluten Sensitivity. She believes eating gluten-free does not mean sacrificing flavor or budget.
By creating tantalizing dishes and providing quality information on the gluten free lifestyle, Amanda aims to make a positive impact on the gluten-free community through her blog, My Gluten-Free Miami. Step by step recipes guide even the most novice cooks in creating innovative meals inspired by a unique blend of American and Peruvian favorites.
Testing Notes: Key Lime Ice Cream Tartlets
Although we couldn’t get our hands on key limes for testing, these personal-size desserts are just as delicious with plain old limes:
These frozen key lime tarts are easy and good! They freeze up quite solid for easy removal, but melt into a very creamy mouth feel. The flavor is different from what you can buy in terms of ice cream flavors, and the simple ingredients play together nicely. I also loved the way the buttery crust complimented the sweeter filling. In the future, I might up the lime just a smidgen for a little more zest.
Special Diet Notes: Mini Frozen Key Lime Tarts
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, optionally peanut-free, soy-free, optionally vegan, and vegetarian.
For strictly vegan, make sure to select graham crackers that are made without honey, or swap in crushed vegan crunchy cookies.
- 1¼ cup graham cracker crumbs (used these gluten-free grahams; see post above for vegan)
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons (scant ⅓ cup) melted dairy free buttery spread
- 2 cups dairy-free coconut whipped topping (used 1 tub So Delicious CocoWhip), plus additional for garnish (optional)
- ½ cup dairy-free vanilla yogurt (used So Delicious CoconutMilk Yogurt Alternative)
- 2 tablespoons key lime juice or lime juice
- Lime zest, for garnish (optional)
- In a bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs and brown sugar. Add the melted buttery spread, and stir until well combined.
- Divide the crust mix between 12 muffin cups (silicone recommended) and firmly press down to create even mini crusts.
- Put the coconut whipped topping, yogurt, and lime juice in a large bowl and gently fold together just until combined.
- Divide the filling between the muffin cups and level it out.
- Put the muffin cups in the freezer and freeze for 2 hours or more, or until frozen solid.
- Pop the frozen key lime tartlets out to serve and optionally garnish with a dollop of additional coconut whip and some lime zest.
I just popped these in the freezer. I added more lime juice (2 limes worth), and then found it a little too tart. I mixed in 2 tbsp of powdered sugar, and then it tasted perfect to me. I can’t wait to eat these!
Glad you found the perfect balance of flavor Amanda. Enjoy them!
This is a fantastic, super-simple recipe that got rave reviews!
I’ll need to watch the amount of graham cracker/ buttery spread amounts next time (it came out more crumbly than I’d like), but I should be able to tweak that next time!
Thank so much for a great recipe!
Marvelous! So glad you enjoyed it Cathy. The amount of buttery spread needed can vary a bit by brand – some are dryer than others 🙂