Way back in 2006, Pacific Foods shared this “Groovin’ Tuesday” recipe with us. It’s a mixed fruit smoothie that reminds me of all the blends dairy-free consumers can’t order in smoothie shops. You know the ones. They have all these great-sounding dairy-free ingredients, and may even use almond milk. But then they add a scoop of dairy ice cream, frozen yogurt or sherbet. Although we may not be able to order them, we can make one at home!
I asked Leah to whip up this mixed fruit smoothie recipe to make sure it was up to snuff, and also to take some pictures of it. Fortunately, it’s a photogenic beverage. She sent even more photos than the ones shown here!
Leah thought it tasted very good. However, she recommended using frozen fruit rather than fresh for a thicker shake. With fresh fruit, she thought it was a little too thin, but that may be personal preference.
In the original mixed fruit smoothie recipe, Pacific Foods used a juice concentrate with a blend of apple and berry juices. This is what they called “berry juice”. Nonetheless, you can use your favorite berry juice, such as blueberry, sweetened cranberry, or a fruit blend.
They also used soy-based frozen dessert. But if soy isn’t your thing, any other dairy-free vanilla frozen dessert should still be delicious.
Special Diet Notes: Groovin’ Tuesday Mixed Fruit Smoothie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
For a banana-free mixed fruit smoothie, swap in about 1/2 cup mango (fresh or frozen) for the banana.
- ½ ripe frozen banana*
- ⅓ cup frozen sliced strawberries*
- ¼ cup almond milk beverage (or dairy-free milk beverage of choice)
- ¼ cup berry juice (see note in post above)
- ¼ cup peach nectar
- ½ cup vanilla dairy-free ice cream (soy, coconut, cashew, rice - your choice of type!)
- ½ cup ice (optional)
- Fresh Strawberry
- Orange wedge
- Maraschino cherry
- Add the banana, strawberries, milk beverage, juice, nectar, and ice cream to your blender and puree until smoothie.
- If desired, blend in the ice.
- Pour the smoothie into a 16-ounce glass, and if desired, garnish with a fresh strawberry, orange wedge or maraschino cherry.