This one-pot lentils and rice recipe can be made on the stove top. But it’s much faster when made in a pressure cooker, and insanely simple when made in an Instant Pot! In fact, the recipe is actually from Kathy Hester’s latest publication, The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook for Your Instant Pot: 80 Easy and Delicious Plant-Based Recipes That You Can Make in Half the Time.
What is an Instant Pot? It’s a very popular, multi-functional pressure cooker that lets you do everything from slow cooking to homemade dairy-free yogurt!
Kathy demonstrates this machine’s versatility with all types of recipes, from mains to desserts. Here is just a sampling of the vegan dishes you will find within The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook for Your Instant Pot:
- Winter One-Pot Lentils and Rice (recipe below!)
- Asian Steamed Dumplings
- Indo-Chinese Corn Soup
- CSA Layered Indian Dinner
- Uttapam with Cilantro Coconut Chutney
- Tomatillo-Poblano White Beans
- Smoky Pecan Brussels Sprouts
- Holiday Orange Spice Cake (yes, really!)
Special Diet Notes: Winter One-Pot Lentils and Rice
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and top food allergy-friendly.
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) oil (or *dry sauté or add a little water/vegetable broth)
- ½ cup (80 g) chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3½ cups (820 ml) water
- 1½ cups (278 g) uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup (192 g) dry brown lentils
- 1 cup (160 g) peeled and diced rutabaga (or turnip or potato)
- 2-inch (5-cm) sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon (2 g) dried marjoram (or thyme)
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- For the sauté, use the sauté setting over normal, or medium heat, and heat the oil or broth. Add the onion and sauté until transparent, 5 minutes. Then add the garlic and sauté a minute more.
- For the pressure cooker, add the water, brown rice, lentils, rutabaga, rosemary and marjoram to the onion mixture and stir to combine. Put the lid on and make sure that the vent is sealed. Cook on manual setting at high pressure and set for 23 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally. Season with salt and pepper before serving and add more marjoram and ground rosemary as needed.