We’ve all been there. It’s late afternoon, your working away, and the family starts asking, “What’s for dinner?” Not wanting to leave arms reach of your computer (no, just me?), you head to the refrigerator in hopes that some leftovers will magically appear. Sadly, it’s bare and you really don’t want to head out on a big grocery shop. But before panic sets in and you scrounge for takeout menus, check that pantry you keep well-stocked for an easy, wholesome, homemade meal like this quick chicken and vegetable quinoa.
Quinoa is a nutritious whole grain that can surprisingly cook up as fast as pasta! Coupled with several cans from your pantry (don’t we all love using some of that stuff up?), you’ve got a pretty darn healthy dinner in no time at all. This chicken and vegetable quinoa recipe was shared with us by Cans Get You Cooking, so it goes “all the way” with the pantry love (aside from some fresh chopped parsley – but you could even use 2 teaspoons dried, if you wish – and fresh lemon juice – but hey, that comes bottled, too!). But you can of course sub in any fresh veggies or leftover chicken that you may have on hand.
Special Diet Notes: Pantry Chicken and Vegetable Quinoa
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and generally top allergy-friendly.
For vegan / plant-based and vegetarian vegetable quinoa, you can substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth and chopped baked tofu or tempeh (both are readily available in the refrigerated section of many grocers) in place of the chicken.
- 1 14.5-ounce can chicken broth
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 10-ounce can chicken breast, drained and flaked
- 1 8-ounce can cut green beans, drained
- 1 8.75-ounce can corn, drained
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat the chicken broth and quinoa to boiling in a medium saucepan over high heat.
- Cover, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook while stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes, or until the quinoa is tender. Remove from the heat and let cool 5 minutes, but keep covered.
- In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, diced tomatoes, chicken, green beans, corn, olive oil, lemon juice, parsley and pepper. Gently toss to mix well.
- Serve immediately or chill for a summery grain salad.
I love having delicious pantry-staple meals like this in my repertoire! This one looks so yummy and I love all the veggies in there!