This rhubarb strawberry apple crisp is a marvelous three-fruit blend that was shared with us many, many years ago by Melody Wren of The Cook’s Kitchen. She whipped it up when she had a glut of garden-fresh rhubarb and a wilting pint of strawberries on hand. The result was a lovely sweet-tart dessert that begs for a scoop of dairy-free vanilla ice cream! We’ve updated the recipe and post to make it easier to follow.
Special Diet Notes: Rhubarb Strawberry Apple Crisp
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 4 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 3 medium apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons + ⅓ cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- ⅔ cup rolled oats
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free buttery spread or coconut oil, melted
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- If using frozen rhubarb, place it in a sieve and rinse under cold water to remove any ice crystals.
- Place the rhubarb, apples, and strawberries in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle over the fruit and toss to evenly coat.
- Transfer the fruit mixture to an oblong baking dish and gently press to even out the surface.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oats, remaining ⅓ cup flour, brown sugar, and remaining ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Slowly drizzle in the buttery spread or oil while stirring with the fork. Continue stirring until evenly distributed and crumbly.
- Evenly scatter the crumble over top of the fruit.
- Bake for about 1 hour, or until the fruit starts to bubble around edges and a knife inserted in the center of the crisp comes out hot.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with a scoop of dairy-free vanilla ice cream or a dollop of dairy-free vanilla yogurt, if desired.
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Key Pantry Supplies: Rhubarb Strawberry Apple Crisp