This creamy coconut broccoli risotto plays on the richness of coconut milk and olive oil to create a luxurious risotto without milk, cream, butter, or cheese. It is featured from the June 2009 issue of Foods Matter, a magazine (available online and in print) dedicated to food allergies, intolerances, and sensitivities. “An unexpected, but very delicious, combination.”
Special Diet Notes: Creamy Coconut Broccoli Risotto
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large leek, sliced very finely
- 2–3 small, fresh green chillis
- 9 oz risotto [arborio] rice
- 1¾ cups coconut milk
- 2½ cups wheat and gluten-free vegetable stock
- 2 large heads of broccoli
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3oz pine nuts (toasted) or roasted cashews (optional)
- Heat the oil in a wide, flat pan and add the leek and chillis. Fry gently for 8–10 minutes or until they have softened.
- Add the rice, stir around well and then add the coconut milk and the stock. Stir well and bring to the boil. Simmer briskly for 15–20 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, cut the broccoli heads into small florets and steam briskly for 3–5 minutes or until lightly cooked but still slightly crunchy.
- Season the risotto to taste then gently stir in the pine or cashew nuts (if using) and the broccoli and serve at once.
26g total fat – 11g sat / 6g mono / 5.5g poly
39g carbohydrate of which 2.5g sugar
2.2g fibre – 55mg sodium / 0.13g salt
GOOD SOURCE OF: Vitamin B6, C & folate