This spicy clear tomato soup recipe comes from Sarah Hatfield of No Whey Mama.
Special Diet Notes: Spicy Clear Tomato Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, and top food allergy-friendly.
- 2½ lbs. fresh ripe tomatoes, cut up
- 1½ cups water
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 5 cloves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Put the tomatoes, water, celery, carrots, onion, green pepper, and cloves in a soup pot. Bring the soup to the boiling point, and reduce the heat.
- Add the salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Strain.
- Correct the seasonings if necessary.
- Serve hot or cold.
Nowheymama notes: I used a sprinkling of ground cloves because I didn’t have any whole ones. Also, I added 3-4 teaspoons of sugar instead of two to make it more palatable for the little ones. Finally, I used white pepper instead of black so I don’t hear, “What are those little black things in my soup?”
Edited to add: Mama was the only one who really liked the cloves. I looked online at some similar recipes and noticed that people often substituted garlic for the cloves. I think I would try that next time.