Remember, dairy-free doesn’t just mean dairy alternatives. It also includes all of the wonderful foods that are naturally made without dairy. And right now, I’m craving a fruity, refreshing drink, because it’s hot out! And this sparkling pomegranate lemonade is perfect. The recipe is adapted from the February 2008 issue of Bon Appétit, one of the few 20th century food magazines still available in print. It was shared with us by Sarah Caron.
Sparkling Pomegranate Lemonade is the Ultimate Allergy-Friendly Refresher
The recipe is pretty simple, but I still love offering whatever tips I can! Here are a few quick notes and suggestions.
- Use the Best Lemonade! The taste of this sparkling pomegranate lemonade hinges on the quality and taste of your lemonade. Make sure to choose a good quality variety made with sugar and real lemon. Skip corn syrup and “flavors.” We like to use homemade, since we can adjust the sweetness and tartness to taste.
- Mix it Up. If you’re a fan of lime juice, don’t hesitate to substitute it for the lemon juice. The result is a little tangier, but still tasty. Alternatively, you can substitute another pure juice for the pomegranate. We like fresh pressed raspberry or blackberry juice in summer.
- Buy Pure Pomegranate Juice. You probably won’t see fresh pomegranates in store until fall. But there are quite a few brands of 100% pure pomegranate juice. POM is a popular brand, but there are other brands like Lakewood and Pomegranaze too. Some supermarkets even offer their own store brand.
Special Diet Notes: Sparkling Pomegranate Lemonade
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- ½ cup lemonade (like Simply Lemonade or Quick Homemade Lemonade Recipe below)
- ¼ cup club soda or seltzer water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons pure pomegranate juice, to taste
- Fill a glass with ice. Add the lemonade and top with the pomegranate juice and club soda or seltzer.
- Use a spoon or straw to gently stir the ingredients to combine.
Adult Option: Add 1 tablespoon of vodka per glass for a refreshing cocktail.