Not long ago a friend directed me to a new self-published cookbook called Mommy and Me Gluten-Free: Stories and Recipes to Inspire You. The author’s story had been featured in the March 2010 edition of GuidePosts. Intrigued by the cute concept, and the fact that all of the recipes in this little gem are made without dairy, eggs, and gluten, I sent an inquiry. I thought perhaps the authors would like to share a recipe with our dairy-free (and many gluten-free) audience. They happily emailed over a fantastic recipe for Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Brownies with an accompanying Chocolate Sauce.
Special Diet Notes: Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Brownies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, optionally vegan, and vegetarian.
- ¾ cup organic canola oil
- ¾ cup honey (or agave nectar for vegan)
- 1¼ cups dairy-free milk beverage (such as rice milk beverage)
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups brown rice flour
- ½ cup amaranth flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup organic walnuts, finely minced (omit for nut-free)
- ½ cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13-inch pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oil, honey, rice milk, flaxseed, and vanilla (add in order), and mix for 2 minutes on medium high speed.
- Gradually blend in the brown rice flour, amaranth flour, and cocoa powder (add in order), and mix on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Add the baking soda, salt, and baking powder (in order), and mix on medium high speed for 1 minute.
- Stir in the walnuts, if using, and chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Cool for 1 hour before cutting.
Recipe from the cookbook, Mommy and Me Gluten-Free
Our Family’s Homemade Chocolate Syrup
¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate baking chips (Enjoy Life)
¼ cup rice milk (Rice Dream)
Place baking chips in double boiler. When chips are melted, turn off stove top and add ¼ cup rice milk.