After creating a Natural New-Tella Granola Recipe for Bob’s Red Mill, I was craving a little yang to the yin of that dark and intense flavor. A dairy-free and gluten-free vanilla hazelnut granola recipe seemed like the perfect balance.
Tony can’t get enough of chocolate anything, but vanilla is my passion, and this amazing infusion hits the spot. It could otherwise be labeled as “double trouble” vanilla hazelnut granola, as I pair an extra dose of real vanilla extract with two forms of hazelnuts: chopped and hazelnut meal (it literally melts in as it slow cooks!).
Special Diet Notes & Options: Vanilla Hazelnut Granola
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 3 cups rolled oats (I use Bob’s Red Mill Organic or Certified Gluten-Free, for my husband)
- 1 cup hazelnut meal / flour
- ⅔ cup chopped hazelnuts
- 6 tablespoons honey or agave nectar (generous ⅓ cup)
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil (can sub rice bran or grapeseed oil or melted cocoa butter)
- 2½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup minced crystallized ginger, optional
- ¼ to ⅓ cup dried berries (cherries, cranberries, blueberries), optional
- Preheat your oven to 250ºF.
- Place the oats, hazelnut meal, and chopped hazelnuts in a large bowl, and toss to combine.
- Place the sweetener, oil, vanilla, and salt in a medium bowl, and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the sweetened mixture over the oat-hazelnut mixture, and stir until all the oats and nuts are well-coated.
- Spread the uncooked granola onto a large baking sheet, pressing it into somewhat of a single layer.
- Bake for 60 to 90 minutes, checking in to stir every 30 minutes. It should appear toasted, but not burnt, yet will still feel a bit soft (it will crisp up as it cools).
- While the granola is still warm, gently toss with desired add-ins, such as crystallized ginger (my favorite!) and/or dried berries.