This peanut brittle recipe has been knocking around in my recipe box since the early 1980’s. I’m the first to admit it isn’t the healthiest recipe. Besides peanuts, the main ingredients are corn syrup and sugar. Although I usually make it only once a year, this peanut brittle recipe still holds a special place in my heart.
Photo by onlinepastrychef on Wunderstock
Microwave Peanut Brittle for a Special Vegan Treat
Way back when microwaves were new, and roughly the size of dorm room refrigerators, my mom took the plunge and bought our first one. The microwave oven came with a cooking class (which is funny to think about now) and Jim and I went. This was one of the demo recipes. I wish I could give proper credit, but I don’t even remember the make of the oven.
I made a few batches of this microwave peanut brittle recipe for Christmas gifts, but it would also be a great Superbowl snack or Valentine’s surprise for someone you love, too. Maybe I’ll start making it twice a year!
Special Diet Notes: Microwave Peanut Brittle
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, tree nut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup corn syrup
- 1 cup dry-roasted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free buttery spread or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Lightly grease a 13x9-inch flexible rimmed baking sheet.
- Stir the sugar and corn syrup together in a 2-quart microwave-safe bowl.
- Cook for 4 minutes on high in the microwave.
- Stir in the peanuts and cook for 4 more minutes on high in the microwave.
- Whisk in the buttery spread and vanilla and cook for 2 more minutes on high. The brittle should be a golden in color.
- Stir in the baking soda and quickly spread the mixture in a thin layer on the prepared sheet. Let cool completely.
- Once completely cool, flex the pan to release the brittle, then break the brittle into pieces.
Is it possible to substitute the margerine for coconut butter or cream?
Coconut butter should work!