One of my favorite food allergy authors, Linda Coss, has recently made her two cookbooks, What’s to Eat? and What Else is to Eat? available as ebooks! I love Linda’s recipes as they are so easy and fun to adapt, like this delightful orange raisin rice.
This orange raisin rice is a wonderful side dish with grilled chicken, tofu, or Moroccan food. But, I also like it for breakfast!
Note that Linda uses raspberry vinegar for the dressing. Since I didn’t have any on hand, I substituted apple cider vinegar in this orange raisin rice for delicious results that also go wonderfully with hints of spice, like cinnamon.
Special Diet Notes: Zesty Orange Raisin Rice
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, optionally vegan, and vegetarian.
For more information on Linda Coss, her food allergy books, and to purchase direct, visit www.foodallergybooks.com.
I’m sharing this recipe and post on Shirley’s awesome Gluten-Free Wednesdays at Gluten Free Easily, Allergy-Free Wednesdays at Adrienne’s blog, Whole New Mom, and The Weekend Social at The Midnight Baker.
- 2 cups orange juice (fresh-squeezed or not from concentrate, if possible)
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon honey (use agave nectar for vegan)
- ½ tablespoon canola, grapeseed or rice bran oil
- ½ tablespoon raspberry vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- ½ cup raisins, soaked in hot water if not plump
- Place the orange juice in 2-1/2 or 3-quart pot; cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and stir in rice; cover and cook over low for 20 minutes or until all juice is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together honey, oil, vinegar, salt, and cinnamon, if using, until the sweetener is dissolved.
- Fluff the rice. Stir the dressing and the raisins into the cooked rice. It may clump slightly due to the vinegar. Gently stir in the zest.
- Serve hot. If there are any leftovers, promptly store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and enjoy for breakfast!