One of my favorite food allergy authors, Linda Coss, has recently made her two cookbooks, What’s to Eat? and What Else is to Eat? available as ebooks! I love Linda’s recipes as they are so easy and fun to adapt, like this delightful orange raisin rice.
This orange raisin rice is a wonderful side dish with grilled chicken, tofu, or Moroccan food. But, I also like it for breakfast!
Note that Linda uses raspberry vinegar for the dressing. Since I didn’t have any on hand, I substituted apple cider vinegar in this orange raisin rice for delicious results that also go wonderfully with hints of spice, like cinnamon.
Special Diet Notes: Zesty Orange Raisin Rice
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, optionally vegan, and vegetarian.
For more information on Linda Coss, her food allergy books, and to purchase direct, visit www.foodallergybooks.com.
I’m sharing this recipe and post on Shirley’s awesome Gluten-Free Wednesdays at Gluten Free Easily, Allergy-Free Wednesdays at Adrienne’s blog, Whole New Mom, and The Weekend Social at The Midnight Baker.
- 2 cups orange juice (fresh-squeezed or not from concentrate, if possible)
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon honey (use agave nectar for vegan)
- ½ tablespoon canola, grapeseed or rice bran oil
- ½ tablespoon raspberry vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- ½ cup raisins, soaked in hot water if not plump
- Place the orange juice in 2-1/2 or 3-quart pot; cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and stir in rice; cover and cook over low for 20 minutes or until all juice is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together honey, oil, vinegar, salt, and cinnamon, if using, until the sweetener is dissolved.
- Fluff the rice. Stir the dressing and the raisins into the cooked rice. It may clump slightly due to the vinegar. Gently stir in the zest.
- Serve hot. If there are any leftovers, promptly store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and enjoy for breakfast!
This is very tasty. Compliments many dishes well. I served it without raisins with an herb flavored turkey breast.
Pingback: Fresh Corn Salad, Peach Crisp, Pure Chocolate Truffles and More
I love citrus flavor in savory dishes and this rice looks fragrant and very tasty! Again, thanks for coming and linking up at The Weekend Social. All posts get pinned in our pinterest board! Please be sure to come back next week starting Thursdays at 9PM EST on culinaryflavors.gr ! I hope to see you there!