Mother’s Day and no gift in hand? An upcoming potluck and barbecue and you need a quick dessert? No need to panic; these 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies can be prepared in no time flat. This time-tested recipe for a super-simple, naturally dairy-free and gluten-free treat is really a no fail option when you need something sweet in a hurry.
I first learned about these 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies several years ago when my nieces proclaimed it their go-to for gifting and a general sweets fix. I was actually amazed to discover they were baking a dairy-free recipe in their cheese-filled household, but embraced the opportunity to enjoy a nice little nosh and happily helped them deliver their fresh-from-the-oven bounty to friends and neighbors during the holidays.
Many of you may already be familiar with this simple and delicious 3-ingredient cookie, but just to mix things up, we have also included Hannah‘s vegan variation. It’s a true, 100% straight from the pantry option. Whichever you choose, these are best eaten the same day, which shouldn’t be a problem!
Special Diet Notes: 1-2-3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, soy-free, optionally vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
For peanut-free and nut-free 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies, you can substitute sunflower seed butter for the peanut butter. Since there isn’t any baking soda, you shouldn’t have an issue with the cookies turning green.
For paleo 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies, you can substitute coconut sugar (grind in your spice grinder) for the sugar and almond butter for the peanut butter.
- 1 cup creamy or crunchy peanut butter (can use a natural variety, but stir well)
- 1 cup sugar or packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg (see below for egg-free / vegan)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and optionally line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Thoroughly mix all ingredients in a medium size bowl with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Drop the dough by the tablespoon (about 1-inch balls of dough) onto cookie sheets. Press each cookie with a fork in a criss-cross fashion to flatten slightly and create that traditional peanut butter cookie look.
- Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, or until they are just cooked; you don't want to brown them.
- Let cool for 10 minutes on the sheet, before removing the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.