This recipe for baked vegan mac and cheese is a “savory” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Maria Gentry. To qualify, the recipe contains 8 ingredients or less, but includes Culinary Coconut Milk by So Delicious Dairy Free.
Maria says, “This is a hearty, savory and yummy vegan mac and “cheese” using So Delicious Culinary Coconut Milk.” Culinary Coconut Milk is like full-fat canned coconut milk, but in aseptic packages and without all of the additives!
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/march-recipe-madness-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Baked Vegan Mac and Cheese
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
For gluten-free baked vegan mac and cheese, use your favorite gluten-free pasta and substitute wheat-free tamari for the soy sauce.
- 1½ pounds pasta
- 1½ cups So Delicious Dairy Free Original Culinary Coconut Milk
- 1½ cups nutritional yeast
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 12 ounces firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 dollop mustard (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Boil water in a big pot and cook pasta according to package directions.
- Add all of the ingredients (except pasta) in a blender and process until smooth. Once pasta is cooked, drain and put it in the baking pan.
- Pour ingredients from blender over the pasta.
- Bake until the top of the pasta look slightly browned and crispy, about 15 minutes.