Apples ‘n Spice Breakfast Lentils
Branch out from boring oatmeal with this delicious recipe for breakfast lentils by Erin Bosdet
! It is naturally vegan, gluten-free, and allergy-friendly, but the spices, apples, maple syrup
, and vanilla coconut milk alternative
ensure a potent dose of flavor with just the right amount of sweetness.
To note, these breakfast lentils use red lentils, which I highly recommend. They cook faster than green or brown lentils, have a milder taste, creamier texture, and both Tony and I find them easier on the digestive system. Yet, they are still nutrient dense. Red lentils are an amazing source of fiber (7 grams per serving in this recipe) and vegan protein (11 grams per serving in this recipe). They’re also a good source of iron, and an excellent source of folate and manganese. Top with a generous dousing of vanilla coconut milk alternative and you’ve added calcium, vitamin D, and other essential nutrients to the mix. For a coconut milk coupon, click here
For the breakfast lentils recipe, scroll down and enjoy …
- 1 cup red lentils (soak them for about 4 hours; it makes them a little easier on the digestive system)
- 3 cups red rooibos tea
- 2 apples, cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric (optional, but highly recommended)
- Maple syrup, to taste (I buy Trader Joe’s or online for the best value)
- So Delicious® Dairy-Free Vanilla Coconut Milk, as needed
- Pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- Once the lentils have been soaked and drained, place them in a pot with the brewed tea.
- Bring to a low boil and then reduce heat to low to medium.
- After ten minutes, stir in the diced apple and spices.
- Cook for another 30 to 40 minutes, until the lentils are tender.
- Ladle about half a cup into each of 4 small serving bowls. Drizzle each with a bit of maple syrup and splash with a generous amount of coconut milk.
If you liked this post, please share it …
Tagged egg-free, food allergy-friendly, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian