This recipe for creamy potato hash is a “30 minutes or less” entry in the Fast & Fresh Dairy-Free Time Trials Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Christina Coopman. For the creamy sauce, she uses Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious.
Christina says, “This potato hash is a go-to for me when it comes to breakfast foods. Creamy and flavourful, its just the boost you need to kick-start your morning. This can also be served as a main dish, crumbling bacon on top and served with salad. This can also be served as a main dish crumbling bacon on top and served with salad.”
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/dairy-free-time-trials-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Creamy Vegan Potato Hash
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Just be sure to choose your vegetable bouillon wisely.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium red potatoes, cut into ½ inch cubes (approximately 4 cups)
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced (approximately 1 cup)
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1⅔ cups So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage, divided
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup hot water mixed with 3 teaspoons vegetable bouillon powder
- Pepper, to taste
- In a large frying pan heat olive oil over high heat. Once heated add potatoes, onion and garlic. Saute for approximately 4 minutes until browned.
- Add 1 cup coconut milk, herbs and water mixture. Continue to cook over high heat for 10-12 minutes, making sure to stir occasionally and scrape the bottom of the pan.
- At this point most of the liquid should be absorbed. Add ⅓ cup coconut milk and mix, scraping bottom while doing so. Allow to cook for a couple minutes. Repeat with the remaining ⅓ cup coconut milk, removing from heat once the hash has a nice creamy sauce.
- Season to taste with black pepper, serve with your favourite breakfast foods and try not to become too addicted!