We discovered this recipe on prevention.com. It is a touch high in sugar and fat, you may be able to get away with utilizing less margarine and sugar in the first step, particularly if using very sweet, ripe cherries.
- 1 pound cherries
- 1 cup dairy free margarine or shortening (such as Earth Balance)
- 1 1/4 cup raw unrefined sugar
- 1/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/4 whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Dairy free ice cream of choice (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine cherries, ½ cup of the margarine, and 3/4 cup of the sugar in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the cherries are soft and tender. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cherries to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
2. Sift together the flours, the remaining ½ cup of sugar, and the almond extract. Using your fingers or a pastry cutter, work the remaining margarine into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Spread the flour mixture over the cherries and bake for 12 minutes.
3. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream, if desired.