Special Diet Notes: Cocoa Rum Balls
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. Optionally egg-free and vegan.
- 1-12 ounce package vanilla wafers (such as Country Choice or vegan variety if needed), crushed
- 1 ½ cups chopped nuts
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ½ cup light rum
- 3 Tablespoons light corn syrup
- ⅛ cup powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, combine vanilla wafer crumbs, chopped nuts, the ¾ cup powdered sugar, and cocoa.
- Mix in rum and corn syrup.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll in powdered sugar.
- Store rum balls in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days prior to serving for best flavor. If desired, roll them again in powdered sugar before serving.
- Non-Alcoholic – Substitute ½ cup orange juice and 1 teaspoon grated orange peel for the rum.
- Coconut – Use coconut rum in place of the light rum, and roll in grated coconut.