This is one from the Enjoy Life Foods test kitchen. Using their products in it is the best way to keep the recipe truly “free from” (plus those snickerdoodle cookies are awesome!), but you can sub the cookies with 6 ounces of another soft-baked cookie of your choosing. You can also use any crispy rice cereal for the cereal, or nuts even if you aren’t allergic.
- 1 box Enjoy Life Snickerdoodle cookies
- 5 very ripe bananas
- 2 C rice milk or other dairy-free milk
- ¼ C tapioca starch or tapioca flour
- 1 t gluten-free vanilla extract
- 2 T agave syrup
- 1 pinch salt (optional)
- 1 T oil (Sunflower, Canola or other oil of your choice)
- ¼ C Enjoy Life Perky’s Crunchy Rice Cereal for garnish
- Peel and mash four of the bananas.
- Add the vanilla to this and set aside.
- Slice the remaining banana into small disks and set aside.
- Slice each of the snickerdoodle cookies in half so you have two small circles for each cookie. Set aside.
- In a stainless steel saucepan, measure out the tapioca. Slowly whisk in the rice milk so that no lumps form.
- Add the salt and oil.
- Turn the heat on the stove and heat up the tapioca and rice milk mixture, whisking as it starts to get hot. When it comes to a boil, it will form a thick paste – make sure you whisk during this part of the cooking or you will get big lumps.
- Once it has come to a boil, whisk for 30 seconds and remove from heat. Immediately stir in the mashed bananas and the agave syrup until just incorporated into the tapioca – do not overstir.
- While the mixture is cooling, start assembling the pudding. In either six small ice cream dishes or a small-sized casserole, place the Snickerdoodle cookies and banana slices (see notes below).
- Refrigerate until cool. The pudding will not set hard, but will be soft and creamy. This should be made the same day it is served, but it will hold up for several days in a covered container in the refrigerator.
* If using a casserole, line the bottom of the dish with alternating banana slices and cookie pieces. Spread the pudding over the whole thing, and garnish with the cereal.
Can serve topped with dairy-free whipped topping if desired.