- 2 cups cake flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground allspice
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup vegetable oil [use canola for soy-free]
- lemon sorbet as an accompaniment
- Coat loaf pans with nonstick spray. Line pans with 2 pieces of parchment paper and coat paper with nonstick spray.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and allspice into a bowl. Set aside
- Place the eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.
- Beat on high speed until the mixture is light and fluffy. Reduce the speed to low and add the honey, then the oil. Mix on low for 2½ minutes, then on medium for 2½ minutes.
- Fold in the flour mixture by hand in several additions, mixing well with a spatula.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pans, dividing evenly.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until domed, set and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. (The loaves will crack during baking.) Don’t open the oven doors until cakes have domed, as this could cause them to collapse.
- Cool the loaves in their pans on racks for 1 hour.
- Unmold the loaves onto racks and wrap tightly in plastic wrap while they are still slightly warm to preserve the moistness, until ready to serve. At room temperature, cakes will remain fresh for three days, or freeze them for up to one month.
- Serve with lemon sorbet.