Chef Beverly Lynn Bennett mastered this recipe for a dairy free desserts article in the November 2004 edition of VegNews. Otherwise known as the accomplished Vegan Chef, Beverly co-authored the “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Vegan Living“, and has been kind enough to share this exclusive recipe with us. Contact us with your feedback if you decide to tempt holiday guests with this incredible Non-Dairy Cheesecake!
Chef’s Tip: This delicious and unique dairy-free cheesecake makes the perfect dessert for a holiday gathering. Alternatively, make several cakes, wrap them in bakery boxes, tie with a beautiful ribbon, and give as gifts.
Yield: one 9-inch cheesecake
Ingredients – Pie Crust:
- 1 package (7 ounces) vegan graham crackers (like those made by Health Valley)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup non-hydrogenated soy margarine
Ingredients – Filling:
- 2 pounds (32-ounces) extra firm tofu
- 1 14-ounce can pumpkin purée
- 1 cup unbleached cane sugar
- 4 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Ingredients – Frosting:
- 1 cup vegan powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated soy margarine
- 2 tablespoons soy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Begin by preparing the crust. In a food processor, place the graham crackers and cinnamon, and process for 1 minute in order to crush the crackers. Add the margarine and process an additional minute, and transfer to a springform pan. Using your hands, press the mixture firmly to cover the bottom of the pan. Place the pan on a cookie sheet, and set aside.
- Rinse the food processor and shake out any excess water. Place all of the filling ingredients in the food processor and process for 3 minutes or until very smooth and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and process an additional 2 minutes. Pour the filling over the prepared crust and smooth the top of the cheesecake. Bake for 35 minutes, keeping the pan on the cookie sheet. Remove the sheet from the oven and allow the cheesecake to cool for 20 minutes or until the pan is cool to the touch. Loosely cover the springform pan and chill the cheesecake in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- Place all of the frosting ingredients in the food processor and process for 1-2 minutes or until light and creamy. To finish the cheesecake, loosen the sides with a spatula and remove the ring from the springform pan. Transfer the cheesecake to a platter or large plate, spread the frosting over the top, and sprinkle with Maple Pralines.