Winter Squash With Apricot Stuffing
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 2 cups uncooked matzah farfel or 4 whole matzah, crumbled
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup chopped celery (complete with leaves if possible)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 11/2 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup chopped dried apricots
- ¼ cup chopped cashews
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 acorn squash (butternut, cut in half and de-seeded, or small winter squash)
- Preheat oven to 375. In a large pot, heat the oil. Add farfel, onion, celery, and garlic and sauté for six minutes or until very soft.
- Add the stock, apricots, and cashews and simmer for 12 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Stir in parsley and pepper.
- Place squash, cut side down on a baking sheet or shallow casserole. Add water to cover 1 inch of the squash. Spray squash skin lightly with vegetable oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until halfway cooked (still fairly tough). This can be done in a microwave also, cooking on high for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove squash from oven, turn upright and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Fill each squash half with stuffing. Bake for 50 minutes or until squash is soft (easily pierced with a knife).