We actually have quite a few dairy-free stuffing recipes posted. But this simple vegan stuffing recipe is a staple that can be “dressed-up” however you like. That’s why it stars in our Classic Dairy-Free Thanksgiving Menu. You can use French bread, whole grain bread, cornbread or sourdough. For a special touch, you can add dried cranberries or fresh herbs. Or you can just enjoy it as is for a beloved side dish.
This Vegan Stuffing is Your Favorite Basic & Versatile Side Dish
We originally shared this recipe way back in 2006. Fortunately, good recipes never get old! But we have updated the recipe with more details, and I do have answers to a few FAQs.
- Which butter alternative works best in stuffing? Quite frankly, they all perform similarly. So it really comes down to taste. We often test with Earth Balance soy-free, but Country Crock made with olive oil is one that we’re liking lately. But taste test before you use it. If you’re buttery spread or sticks are quite salty (like Country Crock) you might want to cut back on the added salt.
- Can I substitute oil for the butter alternative? Yes! I would use olive oil or extra-light olive oil (an oil that is good for baking). But I would reduce the amount to 1/2 cup. Add more broth as needed to ensure the bread is properly moistened, and add another pinch or two of salt to compensate for the loss in flavor.
- What if I don’t have poultry seasoning on hand? You can make your own from your spice cabinet! Here is a great poultry seasoning recipe.
Special Diet Notes: Basic Vegan Stuffing
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian. Just be sure to pick the bread and butter alternative that suit your dietary needs.
- Air-dry the bread pieces for at least two hours.
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and grease a casserole dish.
- Melt the buttery spread in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and celery, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper and stir to combine.
- Stir in the bread chunks until evenly coated with the buttery mixture. Add the broth and stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to your prepared casserole dish and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Key Pantry Supplies: Basic Vegan Stuffing