This hearty sausage, apple and cranberry stuffing recipe is practically a meal in itself! It’s a favorite for Thanksgiving feasts and enjoyed for dinner during the cooler months. This recipe is adapted from a popular stuffing on AllRecipes. We’ve adapted it quite a bit to taste, for baking in the oven, and to be dairy free!
This photo of the original Sausage, Apple and Cranberry Stuffing recipe is by Allrecipes.
Special Diet Notes: Sausage, Apple and Cranberry Stuffing
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, and optionally top food allergy-friendly.
For vegan stuffing, Field Roast Apple Sage Sausage is a great sausage alternative and you can substitute vegetable broth or stock for the chicken stock.
- 2 cups cubed dairy-free whole wheat bread (gluten free whole grain, if needed)
- 3¼ cups cubed dairy-free white bread (gluten free, if needed)
- 1 pound pork sage sausage (can sub your sausage of choice; see post above for vegan recommendation)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- 2½ teaspoons dried sage (can sub 5 teaspoons fresh)
- 1½ teaspoons dried rosemary (can sub 1½ tablespoons fresh)
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme (can sub 1 teaspoon fresh)
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, cored and chopped
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup minced fresh parsley
- 1¼ to 1½ cups chicken stock or turkey stock
- ¼ cup dairy-free buttery spread, melted
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Spread all of the bread cubes in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes, or until evenly toasted. Transfer the toasted bread cubes to a large bowl.
- Keep the oven temperature on 350ºF and grease a 13x9-inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage and onions, stirring and breaking up the meat, until evenly browned. Drain the excess liquid. Add the celery, sage, rosemary, and thyme and saute for 2 minutes.
- Pour the sausage mixture over the bread cubes. Stir in the apples, cranberries, and parsley. Drizzle with 1¼ cups chicken stock and the butter spread, and stir gently until evenly combined.
- Transfer the stuffing to your prepared baking dish and cover it with foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and if it looks too dry stir in another ¼ cup stock. Bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden on top.
Key Pantry Supplies: Sausage, Apple and Cranberry Stuffing