Grilling or roasting vegetables does something magical to them. It releases a natural sweetness and rich flavor that even green-hating kids can’t resist. I still remember “sneaking” more vegetables at a barbecue when I was little. They were so good that I thought it was a treat I shouldn’t be overindulging in! Fortunately, “treats” like these Mediterranean Vegetables are exactly what we should be eating more of.
This Mediterranean Vegetables recipe with photo was shared with us by Mizkan.
For easy preparation and cleanup, these Mediterranean Vegetables are cooked in foil packets. You can buy them or make your own. Simply lay one sheet of durable foil down, and top with a second sheet of the same size. Turn the edges upward and roll or crimp to seal the packet. The packet can carefully be placed on the grill, but in the oven, I prefer to put it on a baking sheet.
Special Diet Notes: Mediterranean Vegetables
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and top food allergy-friendly.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus extra to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, plus extra to taste
- 1½ tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1½ teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1 cup fresh zucchini, sliced into 1¾-inch long, ¼-inch thick planks
- 1 cup green bell pepper strips
- 1 cup red bell pepper strips
- 8 fresh stalks asparagus, touch ends removed
- 1 portobello mushroom, sliced into ½-inch squares
- 1 cup diced (1/2-inch cubes) eggplant
- Preheat your oven or grill to 375ºF.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, rice vinegar,1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, parsley, and garlic.
- Toss the vegetables in the marinade to coat.
- Place the vegetables in a foil pouch and pour the remaining marinade over the vegetables. Seal the pouch.
- Bake in the oven or over indirect heat on the grill for 25 minutes. Or you can open the pouch after 20 minutes of cooking, and allow vegetables to crisp slightly under direct heat for the remaining 5 minutes.
- Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste.
More Fresh Ways to Enjoy Mixed Vegetables
Grilled Veggie and Hummus Pita Pizza (vegan, optionally gluten-free & allergy-friendly)
Quinoa Bowl with Healthy Hollandaise Sauce (vegan, gluten-free & soy-free)
California Grilled Portobello Sandwich (vegan, optionally gluten-free & allergy-friendly)