No Bake Mini Pumpkin Pies with Chocolate Crusts
This time, I’m not going to be modest. This recipe is AWESOME
. I’m a no bake fanatic – not because I’m lazy, but because I love dense, rich flavors far more than light fluffy ones. These mini pumpkin pies have a “just sweet enough” decadence that melts in your mouth. And the chocolate crusts … well, how can you go wrong with chocolate?
I originally made this dairy-free recipe for Attune Foods, a couple of years ago. I know, I should have shared this easy, fun, make-ahead treat before Halloween, but these are just as amazing for Thanksgiving or throughout the Holidays. And consider it some advanced notice on what treats you can make for next Halloween!
Oh yes, and this is my attempt at cute food presentation. Little chocolate chips make jack-o-lantern faces for cute mini pumpkin pies. Of course, I’m sure some of you can make these even more adorable, but I was pretty proud of my creativity, regardless.
The crusts are optionally no bake or baked. I liked both, but the no bake version won in my book, because it is fudgier. However, I liked the baked crusts too, which were thicker and more cookie-like (the “puffier” looking shells in the images are the baked chocolate crusts). Either way, you can’t go wrong … so long as you MAKE THIS RECIPE NOW!
Special Diet Notes & Options: No-Bake Mini Pumpkin Pies
This recipe is naturally dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, and soy-free, so long as you choose your graham crackers wisely!
For Gluten-Free: I adore Kinnikinnick Gluten-Free Graham Crackers, but you can also use the crumbs of your favorite gluten-free crunchy cookies, such as Enjoy Life Vanilla Grahams or Lucy’s Cookies.
For Nut-Free: If nuts are out for you, then sunflower seeds can be used in place of the cashews. The flavor will just be a touch different (cashews are a little creamier and sweeter).
For Vegan: This recipe is mostly vegan, but for strict vegans, honey can by your graham cracker nemesis. Vegan grahams do exist, but can be tricky to locate. Go for other crunchy cookies like Enjoy Life Sugar Cookies, any of the Lucy’s Cookies, or double the chocolate with Mi-Del Chocolate Snaps.
No Bake Dairy-Free Mini Pumpkin Pies with Chocolate Crusts
For the Crusts
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF (if baking crusts) and optionally grease 6 muffin cups (I use silicone muffin cups, which don’t need to be greased).
- Place the graham crackers, cocoa, sugar, and salt in a spice grinder or food processor and whiz until powdered.
- In a small bowl, combine the graham mixture with the coconut oil and maple syrup, and mix with a fork until well combined.
- Press the mixture into the muffin cups pushing it slightly up the sides to make small pie crusts.
- You can either chill the crusts or bake them for 10 minutes in your preheated oven.
- If baked, let them cool before popping them out of the pan.
To Make the Filling
- Combine the cashews, sugar, spice, and salt in your spice grinder or food processor and whiz until finely ground or powdered. It may start to clump a little, that is fine.
- Add the cashew mixture, pumpkin, oil, maple, and vanilla to a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the filling into the cooled or fully chilled crusts, and place in the refrigerator to set up.
- You will probably have leftover filling; don’t worry, it tastes yummy on it’s own and can be made into parfaits, whizzed into smoothies, or just enjoyed by the spoonful!
- If desired, garnish with mini chocolate chips and even make cute jack-o-lantern faces.
Copyright Fleming Marrs Inc. ~ www.GoDairyFree.org
If you liked this post, please share it …
Tagged egg-free, gluten-free, Halloween, peanut-free, soy-free, Thanksgiving, vegan, vegetarian