Rosemary Vegan Funnel Cakes
This recipe for vegan funnel cakes is a “dessert” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Fraida Levilev. For the batter, she uses Almond Plus Protein AlmondMilk from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Rosemary Vegan Funnel Cakes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Just use caution in the oil you select for frying, many vegetable oils contain soy oil. Canola or rice bran may be good options.
For tree nut-free vegan funnel cakes, So Delicious makes Coconut Milk Beverage that should work in place of the almond milk.
Vegan Rosemary Funnel Cakes
- 1-1/4 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/4 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Vanilla Almond Plus Protein AlmondMilk
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½-1 teaspoon dried rosemary (depending on how strong you want the flavor)
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Oil for frying
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Blend all the ingredients (but the oil and confectioners’ sugar) until you have a thick but pourable batter.
- Fill a pan with oil (should be at least 2 fingers height) and heat on medium-high.
- Test a little of the batter. It should fall to the bottom then float up. If not, add a little flour.
- Pour some batter into a funnel, covering the hole with your finger. Slowly guide the funnel over the pan.
- Let cook until golden brown on each side.
- Remove from pan to a plate covered with a paper towel, and sprinkle with confectioners sugar. Enjoy!