Rosemary Vegan Funnel Cakes
This recipe for vegan funnel cakes is a “dessert” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest
, submitted by reader Fraida Levilev. For the batter, she uses Almond Plus Protein AlmondMilk from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Rosemary Vegan Funnel Cakes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Just use caution in the oil you select for frying, many vegetable oils contain soy oil. Canola or rice bran may be good options.
For tree nut-free vegan funnel cakes, So Delicious makes Coconut Milk Beverage that should work in place of the almond milk.
Vegan Rosemary Funnel Cakes
- 1-1/4 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/4 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Vanilla Almond Plus Protein AlmondMilk
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½-1 teaspoon dried rosemary (depending on how strong you want the flavor)
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Oil for frying
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Blend all the ingredients (but the oil and confectioners’ sugar) until you have a thick but pourable batter.
- Fill a pan with oil (should be at least 2 fingers height) and heat on medium-high.
- Test a little of the batter. It should fall to the bottom then float up. If not, add a little flour.
- Pour some batter into a funnel, covering the hole with your finger. Slowly guide the funnel over the pan.
- Let cook until golden brown on each side.
- Remove from pan to a plate covered with a paper towel, and sprinkle with confectioners sugar. Enjoy!
If you liked this post, please share it …
Tagged egg-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian