A recent report on heart health of pistachios prompted us to seek out some great dairy-free pistachio recipes. For the best results, we went straight to the source … the California Pistachio Commission! These pecos pitas can be made vegan or ominivorous depending upon the filling you choose.
Special Diet Notes: Pecos Pitas with Pistachios
Vegetarian: By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
Chicken: By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, and soy-free.
- 1 can (11 oz.) Mexicorn, drained
- 2 medium zucchini, diced (1/2 pound)
- 1-2 tablespoons canned diced green chilies (or jalapenos, if preferred)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped California pistachios
- Cumin Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- Iceberg lettuce leaves
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 cup canned black beans or red kidney beans
- 4 Pita pocket breads
- 2 cups shredded cooked or canned chicken
- ½ cup coarsely chopped California pistachios
- Lime vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- 4 pita bread rounds
- 1 cup julienne pared jicama or pared, seeded cucumber
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and sliced
- ½ cup bottled roasted red pepper or pimiento, cut into strips
- Toss corn, zucchini, chilies and ¾ cup pistachios together with half the Cumin Vinaigrette. Warm pita pockets in 350 degrees F. oven for about 3 minutes, then halve and fill each half with lettuce, tomato slices and ⅓ cup corn mixture. Add a spoonful of beans to each. Place on plates; drizzle remaining dressing over filling and sprinkle with remaining pistachios.
- Combine ¼ cup vegetable oil, ¼ cup cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 teaspoon cumin seed in measuring cup. Stir vigorously to blend.
- Toss chicken with half the pistachios and enough Lime Vinaigrette to moisten. Warm pita pockets in 350 degree F. oven for about 3 minutes, then halve and fill with chicken mixture. Add jicama, avocado and red pepper. Place on plates; drizzle remaining vinaigrette over filling and sprinkle with remaining pistachios.
- Mix 1 cup lowfat or nonfat bottled Italian salad dressing with 1 tablespoon grated lime peel and 2 tablespoons lime juice. Shake to blend.