Rice with Vegetables, Seaweed and Sprouts
Author: Levana Kirschenbaum
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups short grain brown rice
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 3 tbsps toasted sesame oil
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2″ piece ginger
- 3 cups sliced shitaki caps
- 4″ piece daikon, grated
- 1 bunch kale, leaves only, very finely chopped
- ¼ cup hijiki, (health food stores), soaked in ½ cup hot water
- 3 cups soy bean sprouts
- ¼ cup soy sauce [use wheat-free tamari for gluten-free]
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 6 scallions, finely sliced
- Bottled hot sauce to taste
- Bring the water to boil in a wide heavy pot.
- Add the rice, reduce the flame to medium and cook, covered, 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oils in a large skillet.
- Finely grind the garlic and ginger and add to the skillet.
- Sauté for just one minute.
- Add the shitaki and sauté 2-3 more minutes.
- Add the daikon and kale and sauté 2-3 more minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and all remaining ingredients, and stir to combine.
- Cook 2-3 more minutes, only until cooked through. Serve hot.