Wholesome Pumpkin Soup
- 2 pounds pumpkin or a 28 oz can of pumpkin puree
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large apple, cored and chopped
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 inch grated ginger
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
- Carefully cut pumpkin in half. Remove seeds and cook in the microwave for 20 minutes or in a 400 ° F oven for 45 minutes or until you can easily scoop out the soft flesh. You also could use a 28 oz can of pumpkin puree instead.
- In a large sauce pan, heat ¼ cup of broth over medium, add chopped onion, apple, garlic, and herbs and spices.
- Cook until onions and apples are soft and then add the remainder of the broth.
- Add pumpkin to the sauce pan.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Working in batches, purée the soup in a blender or food processor.
- Return puree to sauce pan, taste and adjust seasoning according to personal preferences.
- Serve and top with fresh sage leaves or thin ginger slices.