Have you noticed another theme here lately on Go Dairy Free? It wasn’t necessarily on purpose, but this year, Valentine’s Day and Heart Health Month seem to be intertwined in my brain. Baked goods and sweet treats are top of mind, but I’ve been drawn to the more wholesome side. Last week pure oat Chocolate Cookies, sugar-free Creamy Carob Butter, whole grain Chocolate Chip Pancakes, and homemade granola-spiked Cherry Smoothie Bowls topped our beloved list of new recipe features. And this week we’re kicking things off with this Lemon Strawberry Flaxseed Meal Bread recipe. It’s from Bread-Free Bread: Amazingly Healthy Gluten-Free, Grain-Free Breads, Muffins, Cookies & More by Nerissa Oden.
Like all of the recipes in Bread-Free Bread, this flaxseed meal bread is completely free of gluten, grains, and is very low in sugar. In fact, savory lovers will adore every hearty page, as most of the recipes are void of added sugars or have just a wee bit of optional added sugar. And yes, MOST of Bread-Free Bread is dairy-free, too. There is just a small smattering of recipes that call for cheese. As for other top allergens, eggs are used in abundance, but Nerissa offers a surprising amount of nut-free recipes. Like this flaxseed meal bread, a large percentage of her baked good recipes are made with a base of coconut flour, chia seed meal, flaxseed meal, corn flour, or other non-nut “flour”.
As for the aesthetics, I love the simplistic layout of Bread-Free Bread. It has a homemade and very “doable” appeal with hefty paper, helpful photos, and very clean, short recipes. The chapters include Sandwich Breads (which are flatbreads like this flaxseed meal bread), Quick Breads (loaves) & Muffins, Crackers & Biscuits, Tortillas, and Cookies, Cakes & Bars. Here’s a short sampling of the dairy-free recipes that immediately caught my eye:
- Taste of India Bread
- Asian Kale Bread
- Ranch Onion Bread
- Garlic Buttered Mushroom Loaf
- Lemon Strawberry Bread (recipe below!)
- Spicy Sweet Corn Muffins
- Zesty Cranberry Pumpkin Seed Crackers
- Eggplant Biscuits
- Blueberry Tortillas
- Superfood Tortillas
- Black Tea and Fig Bites
- OMG (Oh My Gosh!) Cookies
- Carrot Microwave Mug Cake
Special Diet Notes: Lemon Strawberry Flaxseed Meal Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegetarian, optionally paleo-friendly, and optionally added sugar-free.
- 1½ cups golden flaxseed meal*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cane sugar (optional)
- ½ cup liquid egg whites
- 1¾ cups coarsely chopped fresh strawberries
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF.
- Cover a 9x13-inch baking sheet with Pan Lining Paper, foil side down. Press the paper into the form of the baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flaxseed meal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
- In a blender, combine the egg whites, cane sugar (optional), strawberries, vanilla, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Blend well.
- Pour the strawberry mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients. Mix quickly.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking sheet. Push the mixture to the edges, then use a spatula to level the thickness.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Place upside down on a cooling rack. Remove the pan and paper. Let cool.
- The bread tastes best after it has cooled. Cut into desired pieces. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.