Over a decade ago, there was a recipe for strawberry chocolate pancakes in the Meatout Mondays newsletter that I simply couldn’t resist trialing. And I certainly didn’t regret it! These vegan chocolate chip pancakes are delicious, and can be enjoyed any day. But they also make a special treat for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, or Father’s Day when shaped like hearts.
Leah recently made these vegan chocolate chip pancakes, too, and she agreed that they were quite “tasty!” She used spelt flour, made them heart-shaped, and took these wonderful photos so we could give this recipe a refresh. Some of these “heart cakes” were made free-form, but Leah also poured some into a quickly-made, heart-shaped tinfoil mold.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Chocolate Chip Pancakes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (regular wheat flour or spelt flour also work well)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (can sub coconut sugar)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ to ½ cup dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips (we like minis!)
- 1 cup plain or unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage (your choice of type)
- 1 tablespoon rice bran, grapeseed, or other neutral-tasting oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 strawberries, chopped, plus additional for topping
- Place the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, and whisk to thoroughly combine. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Whisk the milk beverage, oil, and vanilla together in a medium bowl. Pour into the dry mixture, and stir just to combine.
- Add the strawberries and stir until most lumps disappear, but do not over mix. Some small lumps are okay.
- Let the batter sit while you preheat a griddle or pan over medium-low to medium heat. Add a little oil or dairy-free buttery spread.
- Pour batter by the scant ¼-cupful onto the preheated surface. Flip when bubbles burst and remain open on the surface of the pancakes and the edges begin to look dry, about 3 minutes. Cook for about 2 minutes more, or until golden. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve with maple syrup and top with additional sliced strawberries, if desired.