This chocolate sorbet or sorbetto recipe is from The Ciao Bella Book of Gelato and Sorbetto. Ciao Bella sells many vegan flavors of gelato and sorbetto in pints and even bars, but they have divulged their secret recipes in this delightful cookbook, plus many other exotic flavors not found in their pints.
This particular chocolate sorbet recipe is simple yet intense with a complex depth of flavor. To keep this recipe dairy-free and vegan (and free of other allergens for that matter) the key is in the chocolate that you use. For recipes like this one, I like to use Scharffenberger’s Baking Bars (70%). For an “allergen-free” option (made in a dairy-, egg-, nut-, and gluten-free facility), Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips or Chunks are a delicious option. They are semi-sweet, and work well in baking or recipes like this one.
For more information on Ciao Bella Sorbetto pints, visit their website at www.ciaobellagelato.com. For their incredible chocolate sorbet / sorbetto recipe, see below …
Photo by Hannah Kaminsky, food stylist and photographer at Bittersweet.
- 3 Cups Water
- 1-1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 4 Ounces Bittersweet Chocolate (About 60% Cacao), finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Dark Rum
- 1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- In a medium saucepan, combine the water and sugar. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, whisking often to dissolve the sugar.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 4 minutes, continuing to whisk until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the chopped chocolate; whisk until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Add the cocoa powder and whisk until incorporated and the mixture is smooth.
- Add the rum and vanilla, then pour though a fine-mesh strainer into a clean bowl.
- Let cool, stirring often. Once cooled, cover and refrigerate until very cold, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Churn in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for at least 2 hours before serving.
Copyright Fleming Marrs Inc. ~ www.GoDairyFree.org
Tagged birthdays, egg--free, food allergy-friendly, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, summer, vegan, vegetarian