Vegan French Onion Soup
Mark Reinfeld is one of my favorite vegan cookbook authors, so I’m very excited about his latest book, The 30-Minute Vegan’s Taste of Europe. German bratwurst and moussaka are no match for the creative talents of Reinfeld. He even puts a delicious dairy-free spin on a classically cheesy soup – yes, Mark has created a vegan french onion soup recipe (which he is sharing with us today)!
The 30-Minute Vegan’s Taste of Europe covers eight general cuisines, French, German, Greek, Italian, English/Irish, Spanish/Portuguese, and European fusion, and includes 150 plant-based vegan recipes. Most of the recipes are gluten-free or can easily be adapted to gluten-free (like this vegan french onion soup – simply use gluten-free bread).
To keep this vegan french onion soup allergy-friendly, use nutritional yeast or reach for a cheese alternative like Daiya or Galaxy shreds. They are made without gluten and without the top eight food allergens.
Vegan French Onion Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegan butter
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced thinly (4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup red wine, or 1 cup sherry
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup grated vegan mozzarella- or Cheddar-style cheese, or ½ cup nutritional yeast, or to taste
- ½ baguette (white, wheat, or gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare the soup: Place the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, salt, and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the wine and vinegar and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently and adding small amounts of vegetable stock if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Lower the heat to medium, add the vegetable stock and herbs to the pot, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare the croutons: Set the oven to broil and oil a baking sheet. Slice the baguette into ½-inch slices and place on the prepared baking sheet. Baste with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil for 5 minutes, or until the bread is crispy.
- To serve, remove the bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Pour the soup into oven-safe bowls, add a baguette slice, and sprinkle the top with vegan cheese. Place under the broiler until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes. If you do not have oven-safe bowls, simply top with the cheese before serving.
Tagged egg-free, food allergy-friendly, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, winter