Updated February 2023! I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how friendly Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shops are to dairy-free and vegan dessert lovers! In fact, they even offer non-dairy scoop shop exclusives. For a few years, they’ve served Cold Brew Coffee Fudge Chip, and this year, you can also get Strawberry Marshmallow – yes, with vegan marshmallow swirls. We’ve included full details below, including other dairy-free scoop shop flavors, ingredients, and much more.
What’s Dairy-Free & Vegan at Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shops
Five different store visits and three marketing people later, and I finally got an answer to what’s dairy-free at Ben & Jerry’s scoop shops. This guide includes the dairy-free and vegan options for flavors, cones, toppings, and more. We also have tips on annual events for dairy-free customers.
Dairy-Free Ice Cream by the Scoop
Almost all Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shops now serve one or two flavors of their creamy Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert by the scoop, and sometimes by the pint. At last check, these vegan flavors were on rotation in the US, UK, and Australia:
- Change the Whirled
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- Cold Brew Coffee Fudge Chip (a Scoop Shop exclusive)
- Strawberry Marshmallow (a Scoop Shop exclusive)
Sorbet is a Scoop Shop Exclusive
And although they aren’t sold by the pint, Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shops have Non-Dairy Sorbets available by the scoop. In the US, Canada, and Australia, you can usually find these fruity choices:
- Berry Berry Extraordinary
- Mango Mango Sorbet (Australia only)
Sorbet smoothies are available at Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shops in the U.S. and Australia. Here are some dairy-free options to look for:
- Berry Mango (berry berry extraordinary sorbet, white grape juice, mango)
- Berry Nice (berry berry extraordinary sorbet, pomegranate-blueberry juice, strawberries, banana)
- Life’s a Beach (mango mango sorbet, orange juice, pineapple chunks, banana) (Australia only)
- Mango Lemonade (lemonade sorbet, lemonade, mango)
- Queen of Tarts (lemonade sorbet, cranberry juice, raspberries)
- Strawberry Lemonade (lemonade sorbet, lemonade, strawberries)
Dairy-Free Cones, Toppings, Sundaes, and Cakes
Several exclusive menu items are non-dairy across the entire Ben & Jerry’s franchise network. They include:
- Sugar Cones
- Cake Cones (aka Wafer Cones)
- Chocolate Syrup
- Shakes made with Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert and Almond Milk
Heads Up! Many of the toppings, including sprinkles, are sourced by the franchisees. So you have to check at your local Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shop to see if those items are dairy-free and safe for your needs.
Non-Dairy Ice Cream Cakes: In 2018, select Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shops in the US began making non-dairy and vegan ice cream cakes on request. They include layers of non- dairy ice cream and vegan cookie crumbles (or other toppings of choice), and are finished with dairy-free frosting. We were unable to find a shop locally that had these cakes, but check with your local scoop shop to see if they are filling vegan ice cream cake orders.
Ice Cream Sandwiches & Sundaes: In the UK, check out the London Soho shop for more options. We’ve been told you can get vegan chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches and other frozen desserts made with local vegan brownies and dairy-free whipped cream.
Annual Promotion: Ben & Jerry’s Free Cone Day (Dairy-Free Details!)
They typically offer a Free Cone Day in summer, but it has been postponed for two years. When it pops up again, I have good news for dairy-free and vegan customers:
- The Non-Dairy flavors are included! As mentioned above, there are usually at least one or two creamy varieties and a couple sorbet selections at each Scoop Shop.
- Free Cone Day appears to be worldwide. So just put Ben & Jerry’s in your GPS and head to the nearest shop.
- There’s no shame in getting back in line. In fact, Ben & Jerry’s encourages you to jump back in and sample as many cones as you would like.
- You can actually get a CONE. You are welcome to choose a cup, but as mentioned above, their sugar cones and cake cones are made without any dairy. Just avoid the waffle cone upgrade – it isn’t dairy-free.
Annual Promotion: Ben & Jerry’s World Vegan Day Happy Hour
Again, this event was postponed this past year, but in the future, we hope to see it return. November 1st is World Vegan Day, and Ben & Jerry’s celebrates with nationwide happy hours at participating Scoop Shops. From 4pm to 8pm, customers can walk right in and get a FREE scoop of their non-dairy ice cream. There’s no catch, just vegan frozen dessert for all.
This Post is for Informational Purposes Only
Menus, ingredients, kitchen procedures, management, food sourcing, and restaurant protocols are subject to change at any time. Always read the menu and discuss your dietary needs with the staff before ordering. Make sure they can accommodate your situation. This post is for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as advice.
There is always a risk for potential cross-contamination of allergens in any commercial kitchen. If cross-contamination is an issue for you, always speak with the manager to ensure that your meal can be safely prepared. Listings here do not guarantee that a restaurant is safe enough for your individual needs. Only you can make that decision.
Each location of a chain restaurant has different management and staff, and some might have different owners. This means differences in processes, ingredients used, menu options, and food sourcing can occur. Always verify the safety of your order for your needs at your current location.