Updated in 2021! Five different store visits and three marketing people later, and I finally got an answer to what’s dairy-free at Ben & Jerry’s scoop shops. This guide includes the dairy-free and vegan options for flavors, cones, toppings, and more. We also have tips on annual events for dairy-free customers.
What’s Dairy-Free at Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shops
I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how friendly their scoop shops have become to dairy-free and vegan dessert lovers!
Dairy-Free Ice Cream by the Scoop
Almost all Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shops now serve one or two flavors of their creamy Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert by the scoop, and sometimes by the pint. At last check, these vegan flavors were on rotation in the US, Canada, and Australia:
- Change the Whirled*
- Coconut Almond Fudge Chip*
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough* (US Only)
- Peanut Butter & Cookies*
- Cold Brew Coffee Fudge Chip* (a Scoop Shop exclusive)
And although they aren’t sold by the pint, Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shops have Non-Dairy Sorbets available by the scoop. In the US, Canada, and Australia, you can usually find these fruity choices:
- Berry Berry Extraordinary
- Pineapple Passionfruit
In the UK, Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shops appear to be adding non-dairy menus, but these options aren’t listed on their website yet. In their London Soho shop, you can already get vegan chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches and other frozen desserts made with local vegan brownies and dairy-free whipped cream.
* See our Ben & Jerry’s Dairy-Free Flavor List for ingredients, allergen, and nutrition information.
Dairy-Free Cones, Toppings & Other Treats
Several exclusive menu items are non-dairy across the entire Ben & Jerry’s franchise network. They include:
- Sugar Cones
- Cake Cones (aka Wafer Cones)
- Chocolate Syrup
- Shakes made with Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert and Almond Milk
- Smoothies like Berry Mango, Mango Lemonade, Berry Nice, Queen of Tarts, and Strawberry Lemonade
Many of the toppings, including sprinkles, are sourced by the franchisees. So you have to check at your local Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shop to see if those items are dairy-free and safe for your needs.
In 2018, select Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shops in the US began making non-dairy and vegan ice cream cakes on request. They include layers of non-dairy ice cream and vegan cookie crumbles (or other toppings of choice), and are finished with dairy-free frosting. We were unable to find a shop locally that had these cakes, but check with your local scoop shop to see if they are filling vegan ice cream cake orders.
Ben & Jerry’s Free Cone Day is for Dairy-Free Customers Too!
They typically offer an annual Free Cone Day, but it has been postponed this past year. When it pops up again, I have good news:
- The Non-Dairy flavors are included! As mentioned above, there are usually at least one or two creamy varieties and a couple sorbet selections at each Scoop Shop.
- Free Cone Day appears to be worldwide. So just put Ben & Jerry’s in your GPS and head to the nearest shop.
- There’s no shame in getting back in line. In fact, Ben & Jerry’s encourages you to jump back in and sample as many cones as you would like.
- You can actually get a CONE. You are welcome to choose a cup, but as mentioned above, their sugar cones and cake cones are made without any dairy. Just avoid the waffle cone upgrade – it isn’t dairy-free.
Ben & Jerry’s Launches Annual World Vegan Day Happy Hour
Again, this event was postponed this past year, but in the future, we hope to see it return. November 1st is World Vegan Day, and Ben & Jerry’s celebrates with nationwide happy hours at participating Scoop Shops. From 4pm to 8pm, customers can walk right in and get a FREE scoop of their non-dairy ice cream. There’s no catch, just vegan frozen dessert for all.