Updated 2020! A&W Canada separated from the corporate A&W Restaurants back in 1972, which is why we created this separate listing. It is reportedly Canada’s second largest burger chain, and has quite a few more dairy-free options than the A&W Restaurants in the U.S. Their allergen chart also has more details, noting foods that are manufactured in the same facility with an allergen.
In our list below, we’ve included an * next to dairy-free items that were identified as manufactured in a facility that also processes dairy-containing food. There are quite a lot of them!
No Dairy (Milk-Based) Ingredients (see disclaimer below)
- Burgers – Mama Burger*, Papa Burger*, Grandpa Burger*, Buddy Burger*, Double Buddy Burger*, Baby Burger*, Beyond Meat Burger*, Chubby Chicken Burger*, Chubby Buddy Burger*, Spicy Habanero Chicken Burger*, BLT Chicken Burger*, Double Chicken Buddy Burger
- Nuggets & Strips – Plant-Based Nuggets*, Chicken Strips*, Chubby Chicken Pieces*
- Breakfast – Classic Bacon & Eggs*, Hash Browns*
- Sides – Russet Thick-Cut Fries*, Hash Browns*, Sweet Potato Fries*, Gravy*, Macaroni Salad*, Potato Salad*, Coleslaw*
- Dessert – Root Beer Lollipops*
Components to Help Customize Your Order
- Bread – Sesame Seed Bun, Hamburger Bun, 7-Grain Bun*, English Muffin, White Toast*, Brown Toast*, Flour Tortilla*
- Protein – Beyond Meat Sausage, Beyond Meat Burger Patty, Beef Patty (made with A&W Seasoning*), Bacon, Egg, Chubby Chicken*, Chicken Buddy Portion*, Spicy Chicken Portion*
- Garnishes – Lettuce, Tomato, Sliced Onion*, Pickles, Grilled Onions*
- Condiments – Ketchup*, Mustard*, Teen Sauce, Mayonnaise*, Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce*, Red Jalapeno Aioli*, Mozza Sauce*, Chipotle Mayo*, Smuckers Strawberry Jam*, Smuckers Regular Syrup*, Canola Pan Coating, Margarine*
*Milk is noted as present in the Manufacturing Facility for these items or cooked in a shared fryer.
Other Allergen Notes
- Even though A&W specifically notes items that are made in a manufacturing facility with some type of dairy, it shouldn’t be ignored that there can still be additional risk of allergen cross-contamination with any food in a restaurant environment. Speak with the restaurant directly if concerned.
Vegan Menu Items at A&W Canada
Their new plant-based line includes Beyond Meat Burger Patties, Beyond Meat Sausage Patties, and Plant-Based Nuggets. Their 7-Grain Bun is made with eggs, but their Hamburger Bun, Sesame Seed Bun, and English Muffin are made without dairy and eggs. The aiolis and mayonnaises are off limits, but we think they might have a couple dipping sauce options that aren’t showing online, which are vegan. The French Fries and Sweet Potato Fries are also made without any animal-based ingredients and are cooked in canola oil.
More Details from A&W Canada
Allergen Disclaimer from A&W Canada: Regular kitchen operations may result in food sharing common preparatory, cooking or holding areas. The shared use of equipment (fryers, grill, etc.) and utensils may also occur. For individuals with food allergies, this may represent an opportunity for cross-contact with their allergen of concern.
Restaurant Website: www.aw.ca
Allergen Information: www.aw.ca/publicinfo.nsf/AWallergen.pdf
* The above information was supplied by the corresponding restaurant via their website, customer service, or other published nutritional information. Ingredients and menu offerings are constantly changing in the food service industry, and can be subject to interpretation. For this reason, Go Dairy Free does not guarantee nor take responsibility for the accuracy of this information. If severe allergies or intolerances are a concern, contact the restaurant directly before purchasing or consuming one of their products. Cross-contamination of potential food allergens should always be considered a possibility in a fast food restaurant.
Last Updated: January 3, 2020
Average Reader Review
Rate Your Dairy-Free Experience with this Restaurant
What Others Are Saying ...
Thank you A&W!
I live that A&W has so many dairy free options! Thank you!