This is a guest post by Pickel of My Two Boys (private blog).
Now that we are all purchasing school supplies there are some of us who need to be especially careful when it comes to ingredients. There are many brands of school supplies that contain gluten, casein, and corn, dietary ingredients that I work very diligently to keep out of [my son’s]diet.
But, even touching those products can be cause for a dietary infraction because it does get on and into the skin. We have even had issues arise when Little Pickel has eaten Play dough but no one noticed because he simply let it sit on the roof of his mouth. They finally realized when he went to baby yoga and his tongue was blue.
There are several sites that have this information so I will compile it for you and list the sites.
From TACA Now
- Paints — six colors (Crayola, Palmer, or Lakeshore brand)
- Crayola Washable Markers (large and small sizes)
- Crayola First Crayons or regular crayons (two pkg.)
- Crayola Model Magic in several colors (Do not use Playdough or Crayola Dough or any substitutes unless sent from home! Model Magic dries out after several uses–include baggies)
- Crayola brand chalk in white and colors
- Elmer’s or Ross Brand Liquid Glue (old fashioned paste contains wheat)
- Elmer’s or Ross Brand Glue Sticks (2)
- Scotch brand clear tape, 1 roll
- Craft supplies (small baggies filled these items):
Corn elbows, corn rotelli, rice, black-eyed peas, lentils, rice spaghetti, colored rice or lentil noodles–remember, your child cannot use regular pasta for crafts or in a sensory bin
From the GFCF Website:
- Palmer Paint Products, Inc. (Can be found in Walmart, Michaels, also S&S World Wide Arts catalogue)
Prism Brand Acrylic Glow in the Dark
Prism Regular Acrylics
Prism Model Paints
Palmer Nature’ Hues
Palmer Liquid Tempera (contains corn starch)
Palmer Washable Liquid Tempura
Palmer Face Paint
Palmer Glitter Paint
Palmer Dry Tempura (contains corn starch)
Mess free Color Wonder
3 D Markers
Water Soluble Oil Pastels
Note: NO Crayola dough it contains Gluten!
Elmer’s Washable Glue is also GFCF www.elmers.com 1-888-435-6377
School Supplies/Glue – Conros Corporation, Canada 1-800-387-5275 www.conros.com/RossAdhes-KangGlu.html
Ross White Glue
Ross Glue Sticks
Ross School Glue
Also, make sure to include your child’s favorite treats; Dum Dums, Tropical Source Lollipops, Farley’s Jelly Bird Eggs, Peeps, etc.
I also make sure I send products like these listed below:
- Unpowdered plastic gloves or Liquid Glove (if needed for other activities–soap play, cooking, etc.)
- Colored page reinforcers or pony beads (there are no GFCF Cheerios, so for crafts/activities that involve gluing cheerios, use colored page reinforcers, Gorilla Munch cereal, or plastic pony beads)
- Baggies of Gorilla Munch (Kix-like GFCF corn cereal)
- Colgate Shaving Cream (for OT activities); do not use Nickelodeon Floam, Goop, etc.
- Silly Putty by Crayola is GFCF (for OT activities)
- Palmer face paints or Hello Kitty products can be used for makeup for dress-up activities/plays
- Ivory soap, Johnson and Johnson Baby Soap, shampoo, and lotion are GFCF; avoid other lotions used in physical therapy unless you know they are GFCF
- Toothettes and lemon-flavored cottonball sticks used by speech therapists are GFCF
If you need to provide medications for allergic reactions make sure those are gluten free/casein free as well. Here is the most recent list but always make sure to verify.