It’s strange, but as a kid, I couldn’t stand peanut butter. Yes, I was an odd child who also shunned soda pop, hot dogs, white bread and other typical childhood indulgences. I still don’t like many of these, but peanut butter has become a bit of an obsession when it comes to recipes. I crave peanut sauces regularly and was immediately smitten by this fulfilling apple chicken peanut curry recipe.
This recipe with photo for apple chicken peanut curry was shared with us by peanutbutterlovers.com. For guidance, this post does contain some Amazon affiliate links to products that I personally use and purchase for recipes like this one.
Special Diet Notes: Apple Chicken Peanut Curry
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, tree nut-free, and soy-free.
For a vegan and vegetarian apple peanut curry, swap in cubed tofu (or tempeh) for the chicken, and saute until the tofu is lightly browned and the apples are softened.
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- ¼ cup scallions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1¾ cups apple juice
- 1¾ cups full-fat coconut milk (like this one or this one)
- 1 cup creamy natural peanut butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar (can sub coconut sugar)
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive or coconut oil
- ½ small yellow onion, chopped
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces (see notes above for vegan option)
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Cooked brown or white rice, for serving
- Heat the oil in a medium to large saucepan over medium heat. Add the scallions, garlic and curry powder and saute for 1 minute.
- Stir in the apple juice, coconut milk, peanut butter, brown sugar, vinegar and cayenne. Bring to simmer, reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- While the peanut curry is cooking, heat the oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the onion and saute for about 2 to 3 minutes or until the onions start to become opaque.
- Add the chicken and apples, and saute until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in the peanut curry and cook until heated evenly, about 2 to 5 minutes.
- Taste test, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm over rice.
Craving More Curry?
Baked Curry Risotto (vegan, gluten-free & allergy-friendly)
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Curry Soup (vegan, gluten-free & allergy-friendly)
Quick Curry Chicken Nuggets (gluten-free & allergy-friendly)