This reminds me a lot of my basic pizza dough recipe … and most others! The formula is simple and time-tested, and the results are delicious. This particular version is from Vegan Junk Food, by Lane Gold, and is used to make her Pizza Dough Garlic Rolls Recipe.
Special Diet Notes: Basic Pizza Dough
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup warm water*
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- In a small bowl, mix water and yeast.
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt, make a well in the center, and pour in water-yeast mixture and olive oil.
- Mix with a wooden spoon or dough hook in a mixer until mixture forms a ball.
- Turn out onto a floured board and knead 5 minutes. Transfer to a greased medium bowl and let dough rise in a warm place for 90 minutes.
- Divide dough into number of pizzas desired. Place dough on a floured surface and roll dough out to desired size or shape by hand. Place dough on a baking sheet liberally coated with cornmeal or on a pizza pan.
- Add desired toppings and bake at 425°F for 20 to 25 minutes.
Excerpted from Vegan Junk Food, Expanded Edition: 200+ Vegan Recipes for the Foods You Crave―Minus the Ingredients You Don't by Lane Gold Copyright © 2018 Adams Media, a division of Simon and Schuster. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved. Photographs by James Stefiuk.
Pizza Making Essentials
Is there a way to make the dough oil-free?
I don’t recommend skipping all fat with pizza dough, but you can technically omit it and add more liquid as needed.
This has become our family’s go to recipe for pizza dough! It’s so simple and tastes amazing. We use it for pizza, garlic knots, dairy free parm bites, it’s even great for chocolate twists! Thank you so much for sharing
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback Dustin.
Do you need to feed the yeast sugar During proofing stage?
You can, but it isn’t necessary.
My husband and I were just talking about wanting to have pizza this weekend! Gonna give this a go tonight 🙂 We love making homemade pizza, it’s always such a treat.
Isn’t it? I love being able to customize the ingredients and toppings.