This berry French toast recipe was shared with us over a decade ago, and was in dire need of a refresh. It has been modified quite a bit from Vegetarian Times, a former magazine. The recipe is simply dairy free and has a few unique tricks. It uses a longer soaking time for generous saturation, is richly infused with vanilla, and has baking powder for a little extra lift.
Special Diet Notes: Summer Berry French Toast
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 4 large eggs (see post above for egg free options)
- ⅞ cup unsweetened vanilla dairy-free milk beverage
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons organic sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 slices whole grain bread (thick sliced, dry bread works best; can use gluten free, if needed)
- 2 tablespoons oil (your choice of type), or as needed for pan frying
- 1½ cups fresh raspberries
- 2 cups sliced strawberries or more raspberries
- Maple syrup or powdered confectioners' sugar, to serve (optional)
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk beverage, ¼ cup sugar, vanilla, baking powder, and cinnamon until thick and foamy.
- Pour the mixture into a wide, shallow baking pan. Place bread into the egg mixture. You can do a quick soak of just 1 minute per side, or 7 to 10 minutes per side for total saturation (long soaking is how they do it at Vegetarian Times and bon appetit).
- Meanwhile, put the berries in a medium bowl and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Toss to coat and let sit while you make the vanilla French toast.
- Heat the buttery spread or oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add half of the bread slices. Pour half of the excess egg batter over top of the slices. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the bottoms are golden. Carefully turn over to brown the second side. Repeat this step with the remaining soaked bread slices.
- Plate the French toast and serve topped with the macerated berries. Optionally serve with maple syrup or topped with a little confectioners' sugar.
More French Toast Inspired Recipes
Mini Maple French Toast Casseroles (optionally vegan, gluten-free & allergy-friendly)
Cinnamon Sugar French Toast Bites (optionally gluten-free, nut-free & soy-free)
Apple Pecan French Toast Muffins (optionally gluten-free & soy-free)