For a unique finale to the summer and a recipe that can easily head indoors when it’s too cold for grilling, enjoy this blueberry barbecue sauce. Although fresh is best, the recipe can be made with frozen (defrosted) blueberries when berry season sadly comes to an end.
This blueberry barbecue sauce recipe with photo was shared with us by Fresh from Florida Kids. Their website isn’t purely dairy-free, but they offer some great recipes for inspiration on cooking with kids.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Grilled Chicken with Blueberry Barbecue Sauce
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, top food allergy-friendly, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 2 teaspoons oil
- ¼ cup minced onion
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups blueberries
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in non-reactive saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until almost translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the ketchup, vinegar, sugar, and mustard and whisk to combine. Bring the ingredients to a simmer.
- Add the blueberries. Continue to simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Puree the sauce in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Optionally pass through a fine mesh sieve if a smoother consistency is desired.
- Season with salt and pepper.