I originally created this vegan cheesecake ice cream recipe for Go Veggie!, and they loved it so much that they created an entire recipe contest around it! I shared it here on Go Dairy Free a few years ago for National Cheesecake Day and thought it was time to update the recipe for this year’s festivities.
Photo by my good friend, Hannah Kaminsky.
The vegan cheesecake ice cream is darn delicious on its own, but it also serves as cool and creamy canvas for your flavor cravings. My favorite toppings are this Maple Blueberry Sauce and “Cheesecake” Graham Cracker Crust Crumbles. Yes, cheesy graham crumbles – they are as good as they sound! Both of those (along with the vegan cheesecake ice cream recipe below) are also on the Go Veggie! website.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Cheesecake Ice Cream
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, peanut-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
For soy-free vegan cheesecake ice cream, swap in a soy-free, dairy-free cream cheese alternative (there are a couple of options). Go Veggie! cream cheese alternative unfortunately contains soy.
- ¾ cup raw cashews (I use Navitas Naturals)
- 8 ounces dairy-free cream cheese alternative (I tested with Go Veggie!)
- 1 cup water or unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage (I use So Delicious Cashew Milk Beverage), divided
- ¾ cup sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Place the cashews in a spice grinder or food processor, and whiz for 60 seconds, or until powdered.
- Add the ground cashews, cream cheese alternative, ½ cup of the water or milk alternative, sugar, lemon juice (to taste - use more for a bigger "tang"), vanilla, and salt to a blender or food processor, and mix on high for 1 to 2 minutes, or until well blended. Briefly blend in the remaining ½ cup of liquid.
- Place the blender jar in your refrigerator, and let the mixture chill for 2 hours.
- Make sure the canister for your ice cream maker was frozen overnight. Add the mixture to your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- When done, you will have some tasty soft serve. Pack it into a freezer safe container, and chill in the freezer for several hours to get hard packed ice cream.
- Enjoy scoops straight up or with optional toppings.