I simply love spelt bread. The taste is hearty, but the texture is tender, and still somewhat “fluffy.” This particular recipe is 100% whole grain, and makes fulfilling toast or sandwich bread. It’s also dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free, and even vegan-friendly. Unlike many bread machine recipes, it doesn’t call for any milk powder or other milk-based ingredients. And if you don’t have a bread maker, don’t worry! I’ve included directions for making it by hand, or you can try my Cinnamon Spelt Bread Recipe.
Whole-Grain Spelt Bread for Bread Machines (with By Hand Option)
Forget the milk powder. This spelt bread turns out beautifully, without the need for any additives or dairy. The original recipe is made for your bread maker. But if you don’t have one, don’t worry, you can make it by hand instead! We originally shared this recipe way back in 2006, but I’ve just updated with these alternate instructions, new photos, and nutrition facts.
Whole-Grain Spelt Bread without a Bread Machine
Use the original spelt bread ingredients, but follow these directions:
- In a large bowl, whisk together 2 cups spelt flour, the gluten, sugar, 2 1/4 teaspoons (1 packet) active dry yeast, and salt to combine.
- Add the milk beverage or water and oil and stir to combine.
- Add the flaxseed or grain mix, and then add the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup at a time, kneading as it become thick. Add more flour, as needed, if the dough is too sticky. Depending on the humidity, you might need up to another 1/2 cup.
- Knead the dough for 7 to 10 minutes, or until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Loosely cover the dough and let it rise in a warm draft free place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down and let rest 5 minutes.
- Grease and flour 1 large loaf pan or 2 smaller loaf pans.
- Shape the dough and place it in your prepared loaf pan(s).
- Loosely cover the dough and let it rise (again) in a warm draft free place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Bake the bread for 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden and the loaf sounds hollow when thumped on the bottom.
Special Diet Notes: Bread Machine Spelt Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian. Just be sure to select the milk beverage that fits your dietary needs.
- 1¼ cups warm dairy-free milk beverage or water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar or your sweetener of choice
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 3½ cups spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten (see option below)
- ¼ cup flaxseed or seven grain mix (optional)
- 1¾ teaspoons instant yeast or 2¼ teaspoons (1 packet) active dry yeast
- Put the milk beverage, oil, sugar, salt, spelt flour, gluten, and grain mix (if using), in your bread machine in that order. Make a well in the flour, and add the yeast to it.
- Select the cycle for a 1½ pound loaf, wheat setting if you have it.
Want More Dairy-Free Recipes? Get Eat Dairy Free!