Kristen Doyle of Dine & Dish and Just Baking – What is it about this basic foccacia bread recipe that makes it worthy enough to be a standby in my house? Well…for starters it is simple and quick to make. Next, it is extremely versatile. I was inspired by the clover rolls I made last week and just used Kosher salt and cracked pepper as my topping, but the possibilities are endless. Try adding some olives, sundried tomatoes … rosemary, caramelized onions… you get the point. Make a thicker loaf and you can slice it down the middle to make a delicious Italian sandwich.
For a basic Italian bread recipe…one that would be a great addition to almost any meal, welcome this delicious recipe into your rotation. Adapted from Recipezaar:
Special Diet Notes: Basic Foccacia Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Toppings of your choice
- In large bowl, stir together flour, salt, sugar, yeast, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, basil, and black pepper.
- Mix in vegetable oil and water.
- When dough has pulled together, turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place dough in bowl, and turn to coat with oil.
- Cover with damp cloth and let rise in warm place 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Punch dough down, place on greased baking sheet.
- Pat dough into ½-inch thick rectangle (doesn’t have to be perfect).
- Using your knuckle, make indentations in the dough about ½-inch apart, then prick dough with fork.
- Brush top with olive oil, then sprinkle with your choice of toppings.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes until golden brown.