Special Diet Notes: Vegan Focaccia Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, plant-based, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon natural granulated sugar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- Coarse salt
- Dried oregano or rosemary
- Pour the yeast into the warm water and let stand to dissolve for 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in the sugar and two tablespoons of the oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours and salt. Work the yeast mixture in using your hands, then turn out onto a well-floured board.
- Knead for 5 minutes, adding additional flour if the dough is too sticky. Shape into a round and roll out into a circle with a 12-inch diameter.
- Place on an oiled and floured baking sheet, cover with a tea towel, and let rise in a warm place for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- When the dough has finished rising, poke shallow holes into its surface with your fingers, at even intervals. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the top evenly, followed by the garlic, coarse salt, and herbs.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the bread is golden on top and sounds hollow when tapped. Serve warm, cut into wedges, or just have everyone break off pieces.