Another flashback to our So Delicious recipe contests. This simple recipe for carrot red pepper soup was submitted by Hidemi Walsh. It’s a mild and slightly sweet soup, especially when made with in-season carrots and red bell peppers. But you can spice it up with a pinch or crushed red pepper or cayenne, if desired. Or you could go a different flavor route, adding smoke paprika, curry, harissa, or fresh herbs. It’s a versatile, clean recipe to work with! And it just happens to be vegan and top allergen-free. We thought it was the perfect plant-based, spring soup to re-feature for food allergy awareness week!
Special Diet Notes: Carrot Red Pepper Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, paleo-friendly, and vegetarian.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1½ cups water or vegetable stock
- 1½ cups unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Carrot chips, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Add the bell pepper, carrot, and onion, and saute for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables and liquid to your blender and puree until smooth.
- Return the soup to your pan, and stir in the milk beverage and salt.
- Heat to warm the soup and add black pepper, to taste. Optionally garnish with carrot chips.
Just made it in my soymilk maker. Delicious! I added 1/8 tsp turmeric instead of salt. Lovely color & flavor.
What a fun way to make it! Thanks for sharing feedback and your modification Moira.