Tony and I recently developed a new food addiction, popcorn. Easy to prepare and munch on while working, popcorn quickly became a daily dairy-free ritual in our home. We usually keep it simple with air-popped popcorn, a drizzle of coconut oil, and a sprinkle of sea salt. But once in a while, I get adventurous with the flavors, and make something like this cheesy dairy-free popcorn.
The Secret to Cheesy Dairy-Free Popcorn
This easy cheesy dairy-free popcorn recipe gets its flavor boost from nutritional yeast. This is an ingredient that no one should be afraid of and that dairy-free and vegan foodies should adore. Though it can be overpowering, when used in moderation (note that some vegan recipes use a lot of nutritional yeast – please do not do this – it is a seasoning, not a flour!), nutritional yeast provides a savory quality that does give food a cheesy vibe. It works particularly well in recipes like this one, since it can be sprinkled on.
Special Diet Notes: Cheesy Dairy-Free Popcorn
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and top food allergy-friendly.
- Place the oil and just 3 popcorn kernels in a large, heavy-bottomed pot with a lid.
- Heat the kernels over medium-high heat until at least one of the kernels pops.
- Add the remaining popcorn and cover.
- Once the corn begins to pop, shake the pot constantly over the heat to keep things moving.
- When the popping slows, remove the pot from the heat and dump the popcorn into a large serving bowl.
- Pour the dairy-free buttery spread over the popcorn, if desired, and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle the nutritional yeast and curry powder, if using, over the popcorn and toss to evenly distribute the seasonings.
- Season with salt, to taste, if desired.
- Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container.