I was looking for something quick and easy to make with some leftover marshmallows I had on hand, and these chocolate marshmallow peppermint sticks came onto my radar. They’re a fun little project for kids and adults and can be gifted, nibbled on, or stirred into hot cocoa for an indulgent flavor twist. I like to gift them with Homemade Dairy-Free Hot Cocoa Mix for a special treat.
Chocolate Marshmallow Peppermint Sticks are Easy & Fun!
All you need is a few simple ingredients to make these little treats. And I have some tips on choosing them.
Candy Canes – Most brands are dairy-free and often kosher pareve. But you want to pick up the regular size candy canes, not minis. If you want an allergy-friendly, corn syrup-free brand, then TruJoy Organic Candy Canes are great.
Marshmallows – Most brands of marshmallows are also dairy-free. Just be careful with trendy brands, like Smashmallow, as they do add milk to some flavors. Traditional marshmallows are not vegan because they are made with gelatin. For vegan, I really like the regular-size Dandies (not the minis!).
Chocolate – I typically use Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips, but see my Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Guide for dozens of brands.
Special Diet Notes: Chocolate Marshmallow Peppermint Sticks
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, optionally vegan, optionally vegetarian, and optionally top food allergy-friendly. Please note that most brands of vegan marshmallows do contain soy.
- 12 medium candy canes, plus extra (just in case some break or you need more crumbs!; see post above for brands)
- 12 large marshmallows (regular or vegan)
- 1 cup dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips (see my Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Guide for more options)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (can sub another oil, if needed)
- Break off the curved tops of the candy canes so you are left with 12 sticks. Place the curved tops in a plastic bag and smash them with a mallet or other firm object to get peppermint candy crumbs. Pour the crumbs into a bowl.
- Put the chocolate chips and oil in a microwave-safe bowl and heat on HIGH for 1 minutes. Whisk thoroughly. If not fully melted, heat 15 seconds more and whisk. Repeat if needed until just melted. Do not overheat the chocolate.
- Line a sheet or flat plate with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Dip the broken end of a peppermint stick in the chocolate (about ½-inch) and then press it into a flat side of the marshmallow. Place it marshmallow side down on the parchment. Repeat with the remaining peppermint sticks and marshmallows.
- Put the marshmallows in the refrigerator for 15 minutes or freezer for 5 minutes. The chocolate will keep the marshmallows from sliding off the sticks!
- If your chocolate starts to set up, reheat it in the microwave for just 15 seconds and whisk.
- Dunk the marshmallows in the chocolate, rolling to get it up the sides a bit. Let any excess chocolate drip off, and then roll the chocolate-covered marshmallow in the candy cane crumbs. Set it, marshmallow down, back on the parchment paper. Repeat with the remaining marshmallow sticks.
- Refrigerate the sticks for 15 minutes, or until the chocolate is set.
- Store the chocolate marshmallow peppermint sticks in an airtight container at room temperature. If properly sealed (so the marshmallows don't go stale), they will keep for a couple of weeks.
These are so cute!
Thank you 🙂