This Almond Cream recipe was shared with us by friend of the blog, Gizmo.
I found agar-agar flakes in both Wild Oats and Whole Foods. This is a great sub for heavy cream or whipped cream for topping desserts…
Special Diet Notes: Almond Cream
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, soy-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 cup whole almonds
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoon agar-agar flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ⅛ teaspoon almond extract
- In a saucepan, place 2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Add the almonds, boil for 1 minute, remove the pan from the heat, and set aside for 5 minutes. Drain and discard the water. Using your fingers, squeeze the almonds out of their skins and discard the skins.
- Transfer the almonds to a food processor and process for 1-2 minutes or until a fine meal. While the machine is running, drizzle in the remaining 1 cup water, and process an additional 1 minute. Line a colander or strainer with a double thickness of cheesecloth (or coffee filters) and pour the almond milk mixture through the cheesecloth to strain.
- In a saucepan, combine the almond milk, maple syrup, agar-agar flakes, and salt, and bring to a boil while stirring with a whisk occasionally. Reduce heat to low, simmer for 5 minutes while whisking occasionally, or until the agar-agar flakes are dissolved completely. Whisk in the vanilla and almond extract, and transfer the mixture to a glass container.
- Place a piece of waxed paper on top to prevent a skin from forming. Chill until firm, or overnight.
- When the mixture is firm, place in the food processor, and process for 1-2 minutes or until light and creamy. Taste and add additional vanilla or almond extract, if desired.